NOV 17, 2020 2:30 PM PST

Researchers Find Human Brain Shares Structure with Universe

WRITTEN BY: Annie Lennon

Astrophysicist Franco Vazza from the University of Bologna, and Alberto Felett, a neurosurgeon at the University of Verona, have found that both the universe and the human brain are built from structures with similar complexity and self-organization. 

Similarities between the universe and the brain have been known for some time. For example, around 30% of the mass of both the human brain and the observable universe are composed of neurons and galaxies. Meanwhile, the other 70% of both systems have a similar, passive role; in the universe, this is dark energy, and in the brain, it is water. 

These similarities inspired the researchers to delve deeper. As such, they compared simulations of a network of galaxies and the cerebral cortex and cerebellum to observe fluctuations in matter on both scales. 

“We calculated the spectral density of both systems. This is a technique often employed in cosmology for studying the spatial distribution of galaxies”, explains Franco Vazza. “Our analysis showed that the distribution of the fluctuation within the cerebellum neuronal network on a scale from 1 micrometer to 0.1 millimeters follows the same progression of the distribution of matter in the cosmic web but, of course, on a larger scale that goes from 5 million to 500 million light-years”.

Of their results, the researchers say that connectivity between the two networks likely occurs as they follow similar physical principles, despite their obvious differences in magnitude. They added that the two systems bear more similarities with each other than a cosmic web and a galaxy or a neuronal network and the inside of a neuronal body. 

The researchers hope that their pilot study will encourage others to think more about the nexus between cosmology and neurosurgery and how they could propel each other further in their respective understandings. 

 

Sources: Neuroscience NewsFrontiers in Physics

About the Author
  • Science writer with a keen interest in behavioral biology, consciousness medicine and technology. Her current focus is how the interplay of these fields can create meaningful interactions, products and environments.
You May Also Like
DEC 03, 2020
Space & Astronomy
Health Issues from Spaceflight Caused by Mitochondria
DEC 03, 2020
Health Issues from Spaceflight Caused by Mitochondria
Spending an extended time in space is known to impact various aspects of health, from muscle and bone regeneration to th ...
DEC 12, 2020
Space & Astronomy
Superhighways in Space Enable Super Fast Travel Between Planets
DEC 12, 2020
Superhighways in Space Enable Super Fast Travel Between Planets
Astronomers from Serbia have found that invisible structures created by gravitational interaction in our Solar System ge ...
DEC 29, 2020
Space & Astronomy
Why is the Sun's Outer Atmosphere Hotter than its Surface?
DEC 29, 2020
Why is the Sun's Outer Atmosphere Hotter than its Surface?
The fact that the Sun's distant atmosphere is significantly hotter than its surface has been a topic of confusion in ...
MAR 08, 2021
Chemistry & Physics
Newly observed quasar jet sheds light on early galaxy formation
MAR 08, 2021
Newly observed quasar jet sheds light on early galaxy formation
New observations from the National Science Foundation's Karl G. Jansky Very Large Array (VLA) and Very Long Baseline ...
MAY 23, 2021
Space & Astronomy
More Accurate Clocks Create More Disorder in the Universe
MAY 23, 2021
More Accurate Clocks Create More Disorder in the Universe
Physicists at the University of Oxford in the UK have conducted an experiment that suggests the more accurately clocks t ...
JUN 01, 2021
Space & Astronomy
Curiosity Captures Shimmering Martian Clouds
JUN 01, 2021
Curiosity Captures Shimmering Martian Clouds
Mars has a thin atmosphere without much humidity, making cloudy days rare. But clouds can be found sometimes near the Ma ...
Loading Comments...